Here is your Plan Sponsor’s Quarterly Calendar: a great list of tasks to keep in mind during the next three months.
- Conduct a review of second quarter payroll and plan deposit dates to ensure compliance with the U.S. Department of Labor’s rules regarding timely deposit of participant contributions and loan repayments.
- Verify that employees who became eligible for the plan between April 1 and June 30 received and returned an enrollment form. Follow up on forms that were not returned.
- Ensure that the plan’s Form 5500 is submitted by July 31, unless an extension of time to file applies (calendar-year plans).
- Begin preparing for the distribution of the plan’s Summary Annual Report to participants and beneficiaries by September 30, unless a Form 5500 extension of time to file applies (calendar-year plans).
- Provide quarterly benefit/disclosure statement and statement of fees and expenses that were charged to individual accounts to participants (due 45 days after end of quarter).
- Submit employee census and payroll data to the plan’s record keeper for midyear compliance testing (calendar-year plans).
- Confirm that participants who terminated employment between January 1 and June 30 elected a distribution option for their plan account balance and returned their election form. Contact those whose forms were not received.
- Begin preparing the applicable Safe Harbor notices to employees, and plan for distribution of the notices between October 2 and December 2 (calendar-year plans).
- Distribute the plan’s Summary Annual Report by September 30 to participants and beneficiaries, unless an extension of time to file Form 5500 applies (calendar-year plans).
- Send a reminder memo or email to all employees to encourage them to review and update, if necessary, their beneficiary designations for all benefit plans.
Consult your plan’s counsel or tax advisor regarding these and other items that may apply to your plan.
Ready to discuss your retirement plan with a 401(k) Advisor?
RP-775-0322 Tracking #1-05256814
For plan sponsor use only, not for use with participants or the general public. This information is not intended as authoritative guidance or tax or legal advice. You should consult with your attorney or tax advisor for guidance on your specific situation.
Kmotion, Inc., 412 Beavercreek Road, Suite 611, Oregon City, OR 97045; www.kmotion.com
©2022 Kmotion, Inc. This newsletter is a publication of Kmotion, Inc., whose role is solely that of publisher. The articles and opinions in this publication are for general information only and are not intended to provide tax or legal advice or recommendations for any particular situation or type of retirement plan. Nothing in this publication should be construed as legal or tax guidance; nor as the sole authority on any regulation, law or ruling as it applies to a specific plan or situation. Plan sponsors should consult the plan’s legal counsel or tax advisor for advice regarding plan-specific issues.